Sunday, January 22, 2012

Thursday was pure BLISS and Saturday was #twitterroadrace

I hadn't planned on combining two runs into one post, but I had also planned to blog closer to the actual run. Life, of course, gets in the way. So, here I am. :)


Thursday... What can I say about Thursday???


That about sums it up! I was running along listening to my tunes and felt great! Yes, I was on a treadmill. In my defense, it was 3 degrees outside with the wind chill and I was not feeling up to the cold. I asked my boss for an hour of vacation time in the middle of the day just to head over to get some running in.

The Student Activity Center (SAC) on campus was having an Open House, and I was told that would be the best time to come use the facility. I guess it did help showcase the machine :) It was again, the new True machine. It runs like a dream! I got on and gave myself 65 minutes to be sure to have enough time to get my mileage in. I was shooting for AT LEAST 6 miles. I felt that I needed to get a good long-ish run in. I set it at a reasonable pace of 9:11 per mile and ran. I felt that I could have just kept going, but told myself at some point during the run that a 10k would be enough for today. I hit that moment of Zen and it stayed with me for most of the last half of the run. I really did have to force myself to stop at 6.2. I didn't want to aggravate my knee. It left me with the best feeling ever. I set out to hit a certain point, did it, and still felt like I could have gone on further. It was amazing. I can't describe it well with words. That picture doesn't even really do it justice.

My co workers think I am NUTS. There was actually an article in this month's Runner's World mag that I felt connected to, because the author tried to convey the exact feeling, and it just isn't something you can explain, but another runner will always understand.


Now for Saturday's #twitterroadrace


Thankfully, I follow other runners on Twitter. I found out about a road race put on by @seedouglasrun (I think I got that right). Anyway, it was a virtual race. I found the form to enter, submitted it and found the finisher's form and completed THAT, all AFTER running! All I knew was that other would be posting race times on twitter and I wanted to be a part of it :) I looked through my older runs on MapMyRun and found one titled "Saturday Morning 5k." It was perfect for this. I should have actually run it backwards from the map, just because of the HUGE hill that ends the 5k. It really is a nice run, some hills to keep it challenging, and scenic enough to keep it interesting.

I took off down Locust and headed to 18th. I was able to get across Locust with no traffic in sight. I love that. Then I proceeded down 18th for a bit and turned onto Seminary Road. It goes downhill to give you a breather, then starts back up again. When you turn onto 12th you are still heading uphill. It levels up after a couple of blocks, then you get to go into the Vet's home property. That is the beautiful part of the run. In the warmer months I love to go slower through and wave or say Hi to the vet's as they sit outside the homes. In the colder months you get to pass by the Deer Park with little to no stink, and that is a blessing. In the warmer months there are more animals to see, but they sure do stink! Finally, as you pass the pen where they occasionally have buffalo, you leave the Vet's home and get to a slight downhill that lets you recover ever so little before going up a hill that really works every leg muscle you know and even some you didn't realize you had!

I actually love that hill and purposely have my run end there, because it gives you such a great feeling of accomplishment to know that you just ran a little over 3 miles and you powered up that hill!

The time I submitted was 26:46 which is an 8:34 mile if my memory serves. I looked at the 2 trophies I got for the only two races I placed in, and this was better than both of them! It isn't a PR though, because it was 14 seconds slower than the last time I tracked that same route. I am just fine with that. I am glad to know I can still do it!


Today's "planned" long run???


I had to scrap it. I calculated last week's mileage and it was 17.89. I am excited about that!

I had to scrap the run because as I stepped out of my car this morning, I hit a patch of ice. While still sitting. I had pain shoot down my leg into my ankle. Even when the ankle quit hurting, I found a new area of my knee to feel pain.

Such is life. I am hoping to be able to get a short run in tomorrow. It all depends on the knee.

I am also NOT worried in the slightest about the Half Marathon training. It doesn't even officially begin until February 4th.

~Happy Running!

No comments:

Post a Comment