Thursday, January 26, 2012

I got back outside!

Tuesday evening was really fun for me.

Some people don't like wearing reflective vests or headlamps. I, for one, find it very reassuring to have these when I run after work ;)

This is not exactly what I looked like on Tuesday, but it is close. I didn't have those socks on because it was warm enough for the short ones. I love lighting up the night.

I guess somewhere in my thought is that someone will see me out running and make the decision to give it a try. I generally have a smile on my face when I see people looking at me. Whether they are laughing AT me or not is not what gets me smiling. I just enjoy the expressions on their faces. The run itself was fun too! I am sure anyone trying to track me would have wondered just what I was up to.

One thing I have found, is that it gets kind of difficult to get bigger miles in when you need to stay with the well-lit and safer roads at night. I'm not saying that Quincy is a dangerous town at all. However, I am not one to take a risk i am not prepared to handle. There are neighborhoods that I will just avoid out of caution. There are roads I will not run because they don't have street lights. There are roads I avoid because they have too many potholes and no sidewalks.

I did take another step towards safety. I ordered a Road Id. When I ordered, they gave me a coupon that I could pass along to my friends. Here's the coupon number:

Coupon Number: ThanksSarah11397647

The coupon is good for $1 off any Road ID order placed by 02/26/2012. To order, simply go to RoadID.com or click the link: http://www.RoadID.com/?CID=ThanksSarah11397647

OK! Enough ads for now! :) I DID order one, and can't wait for it to get to me. I don't always remember to grab my license, but do remember to get my watch on. This will just be another wristband that I attach and that is easy for me.


Now for the run-down of the wonderful hour I spent outside!!!


6.67 miles in 58:58. Not bad if I do say so myself.


I started out from my house, as usual. This time I had to figure out a fun way to get AT LEAST 6.5 miles in. I knew that I could run to 24th and back twice to get 6.8, but where is the fun in that? I started out STRONG! First mile was under 8 minutes. (I have to quit doing that!) It set the tone for the rest of the run though, and it was wonderful! I headed up Locust towards 12th and when I got there I hit a red light. That is odd for me, I usually get a green on all intersections. Timing them has became a fun game for me. Anyway, I had to make a block around Hardee's to get myself back to Locust. FUN! I got to 18th and what do you know? Another red light! This time I just went down one side of the street for a block, crossed when traffic cleared and ran back on 18th to Locust. That was fun too! I have iMapMyRun logging this, and she talks to me every once in a while. I used her reports to gauge where I would head next. I went to 24th and turned to run down to Chestnut and ended up making a big loop to get back to 24th. I got almost back up to Locust and got another report from my "trainer". At this point I did a quick calculation in my head and figured I needed to run down to 18th and come back up to 24th, just to add miles and not be bored! So, that's what I did. I even got a red light to help me remember to detour on 18th. I wonder though, what the people at the car dealership thought as I came by for a 3rd and 4th run through the parking lot. :) Finally I headed back down Locust towards my goal: Home. I ended up on a pretty good clip until I hit a red light at 12th street again. No worries, I just went down the block and crossed when it was safe. I was back and forth in my head on whether or not to "Cool Down" at this point or just power on. According to my pace chart, I just powered on. :) I had to actually STOP when I got to 4th street. There was a lot of traffic and I didn't think it would be good to get squished. I felt amazing when I got back inside. So amazing, I almost forgot to stretch. I did forget to use my foam roller. Not good! But still, felt amazing!


Run well, my friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment