Thursday, March 15, 2012

Unscheduled Rest Day

I am taking today off. I am continuing to rest.

I have been doing a lot of thinking these past few days. I am pretty sure I messed myself up by NOT resting on Monday like I should have. I mean, really. I went 8 miles on Saturday. That was my long run and I averaged an 8:25 pace. Then I raced Sunday. Averaged 8:02 for that. What did I do Monday??? Yup. I went back out for a run and averaged too close to my top speed.

I have been running all of these runs at the same speed. This is really not good.

I stopped using music during my runs, but now wonder if that would be an effective tool for controlling my pace. Another option my husband came up with is to run on a treadmill. He says that since it gets dialed in, my pace would for sure be controlled. I don't really like the treadmill, but it may be a solution. I asked if I could get one set up outside :)

So, I am resting today. It works though, because my oldest boy has a concert tonight. I will sit in the Auditorium and not be sweaty. He will be happy about that. My athletic appearance sometimes makes him uncomfortable. He is 14 after all.

OH!!! I almost forgot to mention! Both of my boys are interested in running! We went for a walk last night ans Zachary kept taking off. When we were almost home, I'd say 3 blocks out, he actually did take of at a sprint. I was worried about him crossing the block at home, since it is just about the start of the highway. Cars speed there all the time. Anyway, he loved it! He was feeling the bubbly that I get, I could tell. A runner recognizes that high! He thought it was great, and had no idea he could move that fast. We do need to work on his form a little as he hunches over a bit. He even sounded interested in the possibility of signing up for track next year. (If they still do that in this high school)

Ian wanted to run too, but I wouldn't let him go until we crossed the busy street. He only got to run a half a block, but he liked it too! He wants to run more. I am going to encourage this!

I had both boys stretch out after we all met up at the house. Zachary complained of feeling "something" in his upper legs. I figured it would be best to teach him how to stretch. We went through a good 5 minutes of them. It looks like I will be buying shoes for them soon :) It will be wonderful to get out from time to time with my boys. I'm sure that for a while they will be slow. I need that!

Now, if only my parks would open up early!

~Happy Running!

No comments:

Post a Comment