Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Adjusted Schedule!

I'm going to give this new schedule a couple of weeks and see how it goes. So far, I like it :), but it is only Tuesday. I am going to run Saturday, Sunday, and Monday, take off Tuesday, then run Wednesday and Thursday, then take Friday off and start over again. This may be ok. I hope it is. I am already ok with the thought that I may need to tweak it further, and possibly drop a day. There is a lot of thought and planning that goes into training. I am learning as I go, and have the best support system available to me.

I had a great run to music on Sunday. I originally planned to run to music again on Monday. I could not get a good path mapped from JWCC. I decided to plan one starting and finishing closer to me next destination; the Kroc Center. I still toyed with the notion of running to music. My route took me through the downtown areas of Quincy. I know we are not a busy metropolis as some runners contend with, however, I declined the music. I was running close to noon, the time when all of Quincy goes to lunch! Well, a lot of it anyway. I was in an area that had a lot of traffic. Boy, I should have listened to music!

I got started and in the first 5 minutes I had a great pace going of 9:26 per mile. I noticed at the second reminder that my speed had picked up a bit. After 20 minutes I was at an 8:59, still not bad! Ok, so the next time I hear it talk to me I was up to an 8:04 per. DANGNABBIT! I couldn't get myself to slow down! I'm not sure how long that pace kept up. I did have to stop for traffic no less than 6 times on this run and STILL finished at and 8:45 average! I am not going to beat myself up about it any longer.

I may be fine running like that on easy days. I mean, my whole run wasn't at top speed. I even had to stop a few times. I know I started slow and am pretty sure I ended slow, due mostly to the HILL I wound up on. (I do love a good hill though)

Today I would normally run, but am ever so thankful to be on a rest day. After my run yesterday, I went to the gym for a Body Flow class. Today I feel it. I'm not so flow-y right now. More like a bit spastic! :) I do love trying new things and would love to get that class worked into my schedule. Or if that doesn't work, i may use the Yoga DVD from the P90x collection. I think it will help my running to have a stronger core. I think I did pretty good at getting the moves right even though it was my first time at it. It's good to have friends that instruct these kinds of things!

I can't wait for tomorrow though! I get to go out for SPEED! I plan to jog slowly off campus, then let the jets kick in down Harrison, then slow down for the turn-around and kick it again! The final bit back on campus will be my cool down. I just have to remind myself not to kick it in once I get to the hill at the end :) Who know, I may extend that run a bit too, since I need to add a better warm up and cool down to it.

~Happy Running!

1 comment:

  1. Enjoying the run vicariously through the familiar parts of town :) I like having that visual. And as always, I enjoy your perspective and understanding your strategies to improve your run time, and how you're listening to your body :)

    ReplyDelete