Sunday, March 11, 2012

My Anniversary Race: Kelly's Fun Run/Walk

Last year this is what it said for my standings [Sarah Malaney 61:40]

{the run is listed as 4, but runs 4.1}

Last year at this time, I was almost down to my goal weight. I thought I was in pretty good shape too... I mean, I kinda was. I was doing cardio 5 days a week. I was doing A LOT of Zumba!! That is a sure fire workout that burns a lot of calories. It wasn't running though. I wanted to get into running. My friend Jeannie talked  me into doing the Kelly's fun run/walk with her last year. OH MAN, it was 30 degrees out. I was not prepared for that kind of weather. Also, I couldn't run much more than a block or two before I was winded and had to walk. Jeannie was right there with me! We ran as much as we could and walked the rest of the way.

This year it will say [Sarah Malaney 32:56]

I can't believe what a difference a year makes. 

I caught the running bug with that race, and trained on my own to run the Bridge the Gap 5k in May.  I was also working through my father's illness and eventual death. It was a very hard time for me. I managed to take 3rd in my division in that race. It was my first serious competitive effort. I was still doing Zumba at that time, as I needed to remain with the "family" I had there. (I'm not sure if that can be followed... it goes with the times though, all jumbled together)

Running became my escape. My time. My way to refocus and get out all of the horrible thoughts going through my head. My method of regaining composure and self control. I can't say it is cheaper than therapy (I have lots of running gear!), but it sure is a healthy way to deal with issues.

Anyway...

This year I have been training for the 1/2 Marathon. I think it is really helping my "Short runs."

 I had a goal today. It was to cut my time almost in half. I pretty much did that. I couldn't be happier! I went from not being able to run 2 blocks to running 8 miles (and gearing up for 13.1)! In one year! I went out there today with the thought of just finishing in 34. Just getting in the miles. 34 minutes would still be almost cutting last years time in half too. I know I told people that was even my goal time. Today was no different than what happens to me on Tuesday and Thursday runs. I just let my body dictate what it wanted to do. Today it wanted to be fast! 8:02 per may not be fast for everyone, but it sure is for me! I didn't run that fast in high school, and definitely not as far. I only did short track with the 800 my longest race. I was able to converse with people along the way. I am still amazed at that. Maybe that means I COULD have pushed myself a little harder, who knows. All I can say for sure is that I KNEW I was not going to catch the woman who passed me unless I had enough reserves to really kick it hard. I may have been able to, if it wasn't for the HILL that is at the finish. Man. We both hard a hard time there. I could tell she was feeling it too. She was 6 seconds ahead of me. I could not catch her. Gives me another goal :)

I came in 3rd in my age division. The group was 30-39. 28th overall to come in. I can't wait to see the final results online. Until then, enjoy this pic of me as I was getting ready to head out the door. OH! and this other one, of my buddy Trista and me with the bagpiper!!




~Happy Running!

2 comments:

  1. So proud of you. SO PROUD. *HUG*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoyed your blog! I can appreciate your enthusiasm and pride with your accomplishments. Your hard work is paying off greatly.. Keep up the good work! Btw, that bagpiper was at my Grandma's funeral this afternoon! Busy guy today!!

    ReplyDelete