Wednesday, March 21, 2012

5am runs are amazing!!

I woke up this morning and headed out on what I used to call my Recover Run to be used on Sundays. Since I have bumped up my Sunday mileage, this is now just a fun 5k!

Ok, first off .. the amazing thing is that I got up at 5 am!

At this point in the year, it is still dark out at that time. I had my phone and my RoadID on me. I only forgot my headlamp, and I won't make that mistake again. It was a wonderful run!

I headed out from my house as usual, then went up to 12th and headed up to the Vet's home main entrance. I wen thru the grounds and loved the peace and quiet. I did kind of get freaked out once I got to the other end of campus and headed out on Bredeweg Road. It isn't lit. At.All. Freaky! I think that helped my time though! I hurried to get back to the campus where there are street lights! I am not sure though, if I slowed down after that. It didn't matter though, everything felt perfect. My breathing matched my footfalls. It was so quiet, the birds were still sleeping. I retraced my earlier footsteps and returned to a sleeping household.

I made it back in 25:42. That is the best time I have ever had, to date for a 5k. Really proud of myself for that, especially with backing off for the long runs and trying to actually run easy when I am supposed to. Progress is felt, more than shown.

OH! Here's a quote I found in my email today. It fit perfectly!

~A perfect run has nothing to do with distance. It's when your stride feels comfortable. You're on your toes trying to push it. Suddenly you realize you can open it up a bit more. You know you're at one with yourself and the environment. You're a little more alive than before you started.

Sean Astin, actor

I made the decision to run again tomorrow morning. I think this time I am just going to run up Locust to 24th and back. Keep a straight line and in the light. Safety first, you know.

~Happy Running!

No comments:

Post a Comment