Wednesday, April 18, 2012

I did run 12 miles...

Although, I can't say for sure I survived.

The weather threatened to stop the run entirely. Thankfully we got lucky and were able to get out in between storms. :) The later part of the day was beautiful, too.

I have always loved running in the rain. Lightning is the only thing that will stop me from running outside. Watching the radar led me to believe we may have a chance. I didn't find out until we were on the run that Carrie had actually cancelled it. There was quite a group of us, despite the weather. Carrie also adjusted the route for safety. Instead of a 6 mile out and back we ran 3 miles out and back twice. This let us be closer to cars if the storms did pick up and we would need to get off the road.

that coat wouldn't last long!!!


I had no pain when we started. I only had mild discomfort after 6 when we stopped for a bit of a refresher. I had no pain as we got going again and finished the 12. It wasn't until I was home and resting that it started hurting...

About the run though!

Starting again after a break @ 6 miles
As I said, the weather made it look iffy to even run. I started my day by actually eating breakfast. I had oatmeal with syrup and a splash of milk. YUMMY!!! Of course, I had some coffee too. I am a firm believer that coffee helps me run. Things were looking really good for me. I had no pain, I was on top of nutrition, I was dressed and ready to GO! I pulled into the park and was so very happy to see Greg! He is just a wonderful man. Susan showed up too. I KNEW this was going to be a great day to run.

The first 3 miles were great, although it was just about a mile and half down the road that I had to take my jacket off. Bad decision to try to wear it! It was warm enough, and it wasn't raining. The second 3 miles were pretty good too. Although, somewhere in this stretch, the back of my left knee started acting funny. I can not really describe what it did. It just felt like something was moving behind my knee that shouldn't be moving. It didn't hurt, and I still have no pain in that knee. At this point I'm not going to worry about it. I did however, feel my heel a little during this stretch. When we got back to the park, Susan too a break, and Greg and I GU'd up waiting for her. I gave her a GU, too, when she rejoined us. I think it was perfect timing for it. Breakfast was at 7am, GU was close to 9, after almost an hour of running. That brings us to the picture above. Look at is all smiling and feeling great. That includes me and my ankle. I really do feel good at this point. No worries in the world.

Greg and Susan are chatting it up fairly well down the road. I am just taking it all in. The scenery, the company, the smells, it is all just too beautiful for words. I think it was about mile 8 that they got concerned that I was so quiet. I tried to reassure them that I was ok, just enjoying. I generally don't have much to talk about while running, as talking while running is not a skill I have mastered. Most of my runs are solo, and who is there to talk to then? LOL

No, I don't know why my shorts look funny
As we near the turn around we picked up another runner. I wish I could remember his name. We made quite the group and it was just that much more wonderful to share in this time. They all poked fun at me because I took a wide turn. It's a quirk of mine to hit midpoints of the road when I turn around. I don't know why, I just do! I am still feeling good at this point, too. 9 miles is good. 10 is coming pretty easy. THEN Greg decided it is time to pick up the pace and get it done. He and the other guy do this just fine. I'm sure Susan could have, too. My suspicion is that she stayed with me just to be sure I was ok. I am forever grateful for that. I did try to pick it up some, but fell back. I tried again, but again had to rest a bit. I think it was about 11 that I almost thought I could not finish. Then it started to sprinkle. God in all his glory cooled me off a bit and helped me to see that I could, indeed, finish this run. I persevered. I even found a little boost for the last quarter mile.

I was elated that I was able to finish 12 miles, all under my own power, RUNNING all the way.

I did some standing stretches when we finished. I know I forgot to do some of the ones I should have done. Doug (the awesome photographer) had some chocolate milk. I went for some, to go with what little water I brought with me. He is just awesome! At this point I STILL DID NOT HURT! I felt so wonderful, I was hoping it meant I was good to go from here on out. Then I got home. I figured that, to be safe, I should wrap my ankle and ice it. That worked in so far as it did not swell. I started to hurt. I took a nap, and hurt worse. My body was angry with me. I felt like I got hit by a truck or something. That nap was probably the worst decision I could have made.

I may have slept wrong also, as when I got up my right leg hurt. The back of my right knee specifically. 

I hobbled at church, and hobbled at the theater. I hobbled, and hobbled and am still hobbling. I have an appointment Thursday to see just what damage I did to my ankle. I am still hoping to be able to run the Half on May 12th. I may end up being super slow, but that is ok. I just want to do it. If, however, the doc says no, I will make myself ok with that. Maybe I can still run/walk it. Maybe I will have to switch to a 10k. Who knows...

I am praying for the best.

~Happy Running




No comments:

Post a Comment