Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Injury Report/Update

It has been 22 days since my last run...

Strike that. It has now been 32 days. I started to write this and just couldn't.

I don't know what to say. I have not been able to run. I tried to cycle and that didn't work. I was told not to try to swim.

I have been doing a lot of sit-ups and weight work with the upper body. I have a fairly decent core. I am not totally ripped with abs, but there is strength there. That, to me, is more important. My arms are looking pretty good too. I have been doing a bunch of reps with light weights. I know it isn't much, but I am just starting. Last night I actually did some reps with a heavier weight! PROGRESS! I just can't wait to get clearance to do something substantial with my legs again.

I really have been good about this. For the first week, I used my crutches all the time. For the second week, I used at least one crutch and if I didn't use either, I at least had them with me. This third week, I haven't had them with me. I have even walked around my house barefoot. I'm not sure the doc will be happy with that, but my foot felt really stiff and it felt better after walking a bit.

Now, I'm not talking about pacing back and forth. Just walking from living room to bedroom and couple of times in a day. Nothing much. I always put the boot back on when I was planning to stand for longer periods or walk more. I am hoping for good news Friday, when I go back to see Dr. Biggs. I don't know if he will take x-rays again or not, but I'm ready to get back into action. If only just for a spin class...

Part of my problem is that I grew accustomed to eating a certain amount of food in a day and can no longer do that due to the decrease in activity. I have been putting on weight. Clothes are fitting tight. I have worked very hard to get where I am and am feeling a bit depressed that this is happening. I know that I have to control my eating. That has always been hard for me. It is one reason I blew up to 211 pounds in the first place. I worked HARD to get down to 150, and for a while I was lower than that (my lowest was 147). I am now slowly creeping higher again, and it is tearing me up! It is going to be a lifelong battle for me, I am sure.

I am trying to find a workout program that I can start once I get the OK. I really liked the structure of the BTG training and am looking for something I can chart and see what's next. I may end up throwing something together for myself, but I worry about hurting myself with something like that. I know me! What I am looking for is a good strength program to incorporate into running, cycling and swimming (once I learn to do that).

Ideally, I want to run 3-4 days, bike 2-3 days, and swim 2-3 days, with strength training mixed in 3-4 days as well. All of that with Fridays off! Saturday will be the Long Run day, most likely.

So, I'm figuring that the injury occurred on April 6; that long, lonely 11 miler that had me jump in a ditch to avoid a semi. This Friday will put me at 6 weeks. It is possible that I could be good to get back into things. I have a feeling, though, that I am going to stay booted for a few more weeks. I just have that luck. However, I am still pulling for the chance to start SOMETHING! I have to remain as positive as possible in this. That, too, has been a struggle.

I never thought I would miss exercising as much as I do. Just 2 years ago, those words would never have pooped into my head. Now... Well, a pic I found says it best : "I didn't change, I just found myself". I have this picture to keep reminding me of how far I have come, and where I have yet to go!

I will do my best to post again after I see the Doc Friday. Praying for good news!

There are a few other positives to note here. I got to meet one of my heroes:  Jackie Joyner-Kersee!!!


AND!! I got a new car!! OK, we needed one anyway, but with the boot I could no longer drive a standard. So we went and got me an automatic. It even came with a table!!!

~Happy Running!

(you better believe I will be happy to get back to running)

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for taking the time and emotional energy to write out what you've been thinking while in recovery. Sending you all clear vibes at Dr Biggs office!!

    ReplyDelete