Friday, May 18, 2012

Follow-up Visit with Doc...

I got in and out fairly quickly. Dr. Biggs apologized for the wait, but I didn't see that I had to wait long at all. I guess he is feeling rushed for other reasons.

Anyway...

He came in and of course, started poking and prodding. I really feel better, but not 100% and told him that I felt stiff. That is of course normal with the CAM boot. Did I post a picture of that yet? Let me do that for you.


My foot in my boot

It isn't the most stylish... It matches NOTHING! I had to go out and buy a new dress shoe to try to match the height of this one so I didn't have more problems walking. At first my hip and right knee were in pain, but with a good height-matched shoe, things have been easier. but such is life, right? I am still working through this and working on keeping my spirits up.



While Doc was manipulating my foot/ankle he was questioning me, of course, on how things were going. I told him of an odd sensation that occurs from time to time on the base of me heel towards the bottom of my foot. I remember it happening as I first put the boot on 3 weeks ago in the office.

So, now I need to go in for an MRI. That really wasn't the news I was hoping to hear. However, on the positive side of things, I can go try stationary upright cycling. !!! YES!!! I can actually attempt some cardio. I have been told not to let my ankle bend too much and to keep things as straight as possible. He said to try this other machine the Y has as well; the UBE (Upper Body Ergometer, an exercise bike for the arms). I know it worked well for my mother, who has lots of trouble with her legs. He said it is a different kind of cardio and I can work it a few different ways.

I am kind of excited to try something else new!  I really have been experiencing SO many new things through this. My injury really is more of a blessing than anything.

About the stationary: I have to wear the boot until I am ready to cycle. Then I can put a shoe on and make sure i use the toe clip and I get to ride, NOT standing, though. He doesn't want me to put that much stress on anything. Then I have to put the boot back on to walk.

He also said that it is ok to try some light resistance work. I can get to the machines again! With those he said it should be fine for me to walk to it in my boot and just take it off to work the machine, then put the boot back on to move to the next one.

I am to continue with symptomatic management of the pain with the Boot. I also understand that if I start feeling sore to document it and back off again. I have to work at staying pain free. I think the hand-bike will be a fun way to work out, and can't wait to cycle again.

I hope the MRI shows clearly what the doc needs to see, so we can get me back up and running. I really am glad that I am ok to get back to some sort of cardio. I am struggling with my weight. Calorie intake alone is an awful way to try to control weight. The body WANT to move!

Check back with me next week. I will post what the doc says after reading the MRI.

~Happy Running!

1 comment:

  1. Great update and as always,you find the silver lining. Im glad you get to get back to some of the exercises you love. Sending endurance and patience your way.. and wisdom for the medical staff reviewing your progress! *HUG*

    ReplyDelete